How and why Lacayo & Associates can help you in your legal services in general?
At L&A we have a good team of lawyers that guarantees the superior quality of our services in all our areas of practice. Our experts have the ability to understand them and give real and practical solutions to the tasks assigned.
We always provide our services meeting the highest quality standards and optimizing to the maximum the quotas of time necessary for its management.
List of Legal Services
- Corporate Services
- Maritime Law
- Labor Law
- Tax Law
- Banking Law
- Legal Advisory
- Public Procurement
- Real Estate
- Intellectual Property
Procedures for Corporate Services
Constitution of Corporations
Panamanian Corporations are currently one of the most used tax planning instruments in international trade.
Among its advantages we can mention:
- Shares may be registered or bearer.
- It is not required that the capital or part of it is paid.
- No income tax on transactions outside Panama.
- The authorized capital of the corporation may be established in any currency.
- The directors and officers may be legal or natural persons of any nationality.
- The meetings of the board of directors and shareholders can take place anywhere in the world.
- There is no a specific number of shareholders required.
- Allows to engage in any business whenever lawful."
Constitution of Private Foundations
A private foundation is a separate nonprofit legal entity, consisting of one or more natural or legal entities that transfer assets intended exclusively to the objectives stated in the Founding Act.
- The possibility to follow goals and objectives for a long time even after the founder's death.
- It is used as a testament without being subjected to the processes of succession in the ordinary courts.
- It serves as a means of family planning.
- It is similar to the figure of the Trust, but without the need to transfer the assets to a third party.
- Beneficiaries may be designated by private instrument.
- It can perform business at unusual way.
- Asset protection.
Major changes addressed in the long term or in an urgent way in corporations are a common topic of management in our office. The firm has extensive experience in achieving restructurings that demonstrate excellent productivity parameters. We have participated in the regeneration of several companies achieving effective corporate performance and growth.
Shareholder Rights, Relations and Dispute Resolution
Lacayo & Asociados works with clients to prevent and assist them in disputes between shareholders related to their business. We support our clients in any mediation, arbitration or litigation that may arise and defend vigorously the position of the corresponding rights.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Lacayo & Asociados has the expertise to carry out the necessary negotiations and provide legal services to reach agreements on mergers or acquisitions. The professionals of this firm have extensive experience in contracts, corporations, taxes, negotiations, intellectual property, labor law, real estate and other branches, which gives us a broad and realistic perspective of how we can respond to the needs of your business.
We have participated in the legal due diligence of several mergers and acquisitions from different companies.
Drafting of Commercial Contracts
Civil, commercial, labor and banking contracts:
In Panama the contracts are particularly governed by the principle of autonomy of the parties and can thus establish covenants, terms and conditions deemed appropriate provided they are not contrary to the law, morals, public order and decency. The commercial, banking and civil issues have particular emphasis on our firm, which has professionals with vast experience in the field of Law, allowing the quality of services rendered.
Structuring of Commercial Operations
Using the appropriate legal tools, our firm can assist you in the design of legal structures that suit your corporate, financial and tax needs.
Insurance and Reinsurance
The financial and insurance sector in Panama is one of the most developed in Latin America. In insurance our firm provides legal advice and help, not only insurance companies but also, to policyholders and insurance brokers.
Energy and Hydroelectric
Lacayo & Asociados has experience in the energy industry where has assisted clients involved in engineering projects, development, construction and project finance of hydroelectric and thermoelectric generation. We know the specialized laws and regulations of the Authority for Public Services.
Affairs on the Environment
Lacayo & Asociados has assisted real estate companies, corporations and industries that require obtaining approvals of the environmental impact necessary in the projects they undertake. We have participated in every aspect and we have substantial experience in the ANAM. For example, management request for the environmental impact of a hydroelectric, participation in public forums to explain the environmental impact caused by projects of hydroelectric and thermoelectric generation and real estate developments.
Procedures in Maritime Law
Ship & Yachts Registration
Panama has the world's largest fleet of ships, which represents 23% of the world fleet. The flagging of ship under Panamanian flag offers many benefits for owners of ships and for their mortgagees.
Our firm offers the service of ship registration in Panama, including obtaining provisional patent until obtaining the permanent patent of navigation.
The firm is involved in drafting and revising the ship mortgage contract and provides the client, the necessary advice to achieve this objective.
Restructuring Maritime Companies
Our firm provides various services to assist shipping companies and ship-owners among others, organize corporate restructuring that require achieving a better corporate, financial and fiscal development.
Arrest of ships, Precautionary measures and Maritime litigation
Our firm has a maritime department that provides its clients with all their experience to achieve enforcement of claims, arrest of ships, injunctions, filing lawsuits and defend their interest when being sued.
Together with our experience, there are the benefits that Panama offers, since the Maritime Courts work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to the benefit of the international maritime community, so this jurisdiction becomes a quintessential International Marine Forum to hear all the causes that arise related to the maritime trade in general.
Lavor Law Services
We offer advice and guidance on all kinds of verbal or written consultations, in order to adapt and facilitate the management of labor relations between employee and employer; As well as represent the employer before any labor demand, statement of claims or collective agreement negotiation.
Procedures and Services in Labor Law
- Application for work permit for foreigners.
- Preparation of minutes of work contract.
- Drafting minutes of termination of employment.
- Drafting or review of dismissal letters
- Calculation for settlement of the worker.
- Assistance to individual conciliation of work.
- Application, management and processing of the Rules of Procedure as amended.
- Work permits for the company executives.
- Response to lists of demands by application for Collective Agreements.
Services in Tax Law
The Tax or Tributary Law regulates the legal rules that allow a state to raise revenue for the nation by individuals.
Procedures and Services in Tax Law
- Consultancy for optimal compliance with tax obligations.
- Assistance in Tax return preparation
- Assistance in tax planning.
- Advising on the reorganization and tax planning structures.
- Optimization of use applicable to tax incentives.
- Filing of petitions for reconsideration, appeal and annulment against fiscal administrative acts.
Our firm offers the legal expertise of its lawyers to represent them in court, judicial and administrative processes.
Procedures and Services in Litigation
- Charges for enforcing payment.
- Ordinary demands.
- Representation in executives, summaries and declarative processes in civil proceedings.
- Filing of extraordinary appeals.
- Filing of applications for annulment and full jurisdiction.
- Demands of unconstitutionality.
Services in Banking Law
In Lacayo & Asociados we provide legal advice to banks and their clients in developing their banking transactions. We help the preparation and drafting contracts and minutes.
Furthermore, we advise our clients interested in the Stock Exchange, the types of licenses that must obtain and which is more suitable for their purposes, depending mainly on the type of work that plan to do in the country.
Procedures and Services in Banking Law
- Obtaining Banking License
- Opening of bank accounts
- Minutes lending and mortgage banking
- Licenses to Operate at the Stock Exchange
- Licenses for stockbroker
Legal Advisory Services
Lacayo & Asociados provides advice and guidance in your business, labor, governmental and civil relations so that, together with you we build a legal and judicial strategy with the aim to prevent and protect from possible inconvenience and safeguard your interests.
Consulting Specializing in the fields of:
Public Procurement Services
Our lawyers have participated in numerous public procurement processes, either from the point of view of state or managed on behalf of individuals, allowing them to acquire experience and capacity to provide legal support and guide your company.
Assistance and Services in Public Procurement
- Meet the specifications to participate in tenders and contracts with the state
- Filing of complaints, petitions and appeals
- Procedures of the accounts with the state
Service of Real State
Currently, Panama is going through a so-called "real estate boom" superior to any other country in the region since 2004 and has been growing over time.
There are multiple real estate megaprojects developed by domestic and foreign investors in our country because of various advantages offered by Panama.
Lacayo & Asociados has real estate consultants to help you find the best option for your business needs, investment or property.
Procedures and Services Real State
- Promise of sale contracts.
- Contracts of sale.
- Mortgage contracts.
- Additions to the horizontal property regime.
- Representation of joint owners assemblies of the horizontal property.
Procedures and Services in Intellectual Property
- Trademarks, Patents and Copyrights
- Application Support
- Lawsuits by Oppositions
- Drafting of Withdrawal Brand Use